Stay up-to-date with the latest on what’s happening in Party Town. Look for a new edition of the Waterloo Black Hawks Summer Update every few weeks.
• Making Deals – NHL free agency began on July 1st. Since the signing period began, Waterloo alum Chad Billins reached a deal with the Vancouver Canucks, returning to North America after two seasons playing in Europe. Zach Palmquist also re-signed with the Minnesota Wild. In 2015/16, Palmquist played with Minnesota’s American Hockey League affiliate in Des Moines.
• Rise and Shine, Campers – Former Black Hawks players have been scattered across NHL Development Camps during the early weeks of July. A total of 29 alumni have taken the ice for these sessions. Seventeen different teams invited at least one former Hawk to their camp.
• EuroTrip 2016 – Defenseman Mikey Anderson will be representing the United States in August during the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Cup Tournament. Top 17-year-old players from eight countries compete during the annual event held in Czech Republic and Slovakia. The tournament provides an early chance for scouts and pundits to make notes ahead of the following summer’s NHL Draft.
• Schedule Out Soon – The 2016/17 United States Hockey League schedule is imminently anticipated. Once again this winter, members of the 17-team league will each play 60 regular season games. Follow the Hawks on the web and social media for specifics as soon as they are available.
• Rio Trip Not Necessary – Cheer on Tommy Hawk as he participates in the Waterloo Bucks’ Mascot Olympics Sunday, July 17th. The activities are scheduled for the Bucks’ 3:35 game at Riverfront Stadium against the Willmar Stingers.
• A Great Time for Cool Gear – Visit Young Arena to take advantage of the Party Town Outfitters Summer Sale. A variety of Black Hawks shirts, hats, apparel, and souvenirs are on sale. Stop into the team’s front office weekdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. to check out the selection.