Stay informed with the latest on what’s happening in Party Town. Look for a new edition of the Waterloo Black Hawks Summer Update every few weeks.
• Chasing the Cup – The Nashville Predators and former Waterloo Black Hawk captain Craig Smith face a series-tilting Game Five in the Stanley Cup Final series on Thursday. After Pittsburgh won the first two games, Nashville rallied to even the series on home ice. Smith has played in all four games against the Penguins, with a goal, an assist, and a +2 plus/minus differential.
• Draft Day Approaches – The National Hockey League Draft is less than three weeks away on Friday, June 23rd and Saturday, June 24th in Chicago. Waterloo’s streak of consecutive seasons with at least one draft selection dates back to 2003. Shane Bowers is in contention to be the second Waterloo player selected in the first round since 2015; that year, Brock Boeser was chosen by the Vancouver Canucks with the 23rd overall pick.
• Catching a Draft – With the NHL Draft at the United Center, there will almost surely be some Waterloo Black Hawks fans in attendance. Tickets for the event are $10 per day and available from Chicago Blackhawks ticket outlets. In addition to the draft itself, a variety of other activities and attractions will be presented.
• Everyone Loves a Parade – The Black Hawks will be part of the My Waterloo Days Parade on Friday evening. For more on the festival, visit mywaterloodays.org.
• Winning Combine-ation – The NHL Central Scouting Combine fitness test results were released earlier this week. Shane Bowers was top performer, by duration, in the aerobic endurance category. Waterloo Black Hawks strength coach Spenser Popinga provided Bowers with a special training program to prepare for the battery of tests.
• 30 Days of Winners – The Black Hawks have announced the first four winners during this summer’s “30 Days of Hockey.” Congratulations to Jeannie Brown-Kestel, NoraJean Csukker, Matt Peterson, Ruth Randall, Sherry Stambaugh, Regan Sullivan, and Denise Tovar. Get the latest winner announcement each day via the team’s social media channels, including YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter. And don’t forget to share your favorite moment of 2016/17, to be mentioned during a future edition of “30 Days of Hockey.” Email the details – including a photo – to email@example.com or share via social media.
– 30 –